Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Obits, anyone?

 I don’t know how many people read the obits like I do, but I wonder if they, like I, occasionally see an obit about someone who they knew way back when and feel a need to write a bit in the comments section given to those obits.  This happened to me this morning when I read about one man who I lost touch with when I began my ramblings after leaving high school.  He apparently has been here in Aiken all along, just not somewhere where I would have a chance to gain a reacquaintance.  Unfortunate, but probably quite a few others would join him if I were to see their names in the paper.  I guess personal anonymity is something most of us have whether or not it might be something we might like to change.  My comment to the obit I read follows.

 

“When Al Boni came to town, one of the first things he did, or so I think, was to look up the local Boy Scout organization and offer his services.  At the time, I was an Explorer with Post 121, and because of my dad’s involvement with the scouting program, I met Al and had the chance, along with the other Explorers in my Post, to work with him on one of his projects—putting on a camporee for scouts in the Yamasee district.  I suspect Al taught our district a few things about camporees in general, then, and I know he taught more than a few of us Explorer Scouts quite a bit too.  I appreciate all I learned from Al Boni, and I expect quite a few others in the area could say the same thing.  Thank you, Boni family:  My condolences to you for your loss.  In my book, Al Boni was one great man.”

 

This pretty much says what I might have said on the subject if someone had asked me about it.  What I wonder is, who might I see next?

 

And, who might think the same thing when it is my turn to be written about in a post to our newspaper by one of our local mortuaries.


Any ideas?

1 comment:

Stephen V. Geddes said...

Possibly the last entry I might make this year. If so, fine. 2021? A good time for a good return to the blog!