Monday, July 23, 2018

Morning muses


Well, it’s happened again.  I’m up, trip to the loo.  Tobi’s up too (same for him!)  Back indoors, Tobi in bed with Jennie, and me with this.  Honestly, though, first I was back in bed too, but my alzheimer’s brain (still undiagnosed, liking it that way) required this back to the laptop time.   Not something new, of course, just the way things are.

Thinking going in all directions.  Guess that “Great Courses” thing on “Mindfulness” might be helpful (at least that is my hope.)  Will continue with that later, at a more enlightened hour, in any case.  For now, though, I’ll just attempt to revive what was there while I was doing my supine best to just get back to sleep.  Unsuccessfully, you see. 

Well, now on the laptop and first to Facebook.  Some success there—found a way to capture a “friends” list, something that used to be easy but that has succumbed to the Facebook geniuses’ need to keep changing things.  Guess that’s OK (not really,) it’s just what they do to justify their salaries.  Guess they gotta do something.  Wish I could justify a salary like many of them have.  Not likely, though.  Guess many of us are wishing that.  Not likely for any of us, though. 

My old friend and mentor, Bill Landiss, at the Georgia Tech Wesley Foundation, once shared a quote from Kierkegaard, “Life is just one damn thing after another, then there’s death.”  What else is there to say, one might say?  We all are on our ride on our own “Ship of fools,” each of us with a one-way ticket, at that.  Or so I think. 

Maybe that idea that we continue to return for life-times over and over again has some merit, though.  From the earliest of my days, I remember walking down some steps, holding the hand of my mother (or so I think) going with a group of people into what might be a fallout shelter, or a bomb shelter, somewhere in Great Britain, perhaps, during World War Two.  My birth in July of 1944 might support the idea of a direct hit on that bomb shelter, leaving me with an uncertain time in transition to that rebirth in 1944.  Can I be certain this is a memory of a time in an earlier life, or maybe just a memory of some movie I was taken to in the earliest of my years?  Good question, is about the best I can do here.

Moving from that notion to the present, all I can say is the myriad of thoughts I found so unavoidable while lying on my back with Jennie and Tobi to my side have, as usual, dispersed into the blackness of the night, and left me here, awake somewhat, doing what I do in situations like this.  Morningbrain reins.  God Help Me!

(Guess I’ll try again.  Hope I don’t wake either of my bedmates.) 



No comments: